Wednesday 27 August 2008

John Summers website

John Summers died a week ago. In the hope that I can help to preserve his memory and promote his wonderful writing, I’ve created a website in his name: john-summers.net.

It includes extracts from John’s books, together with a few of his interviews with the likes of Kingsley Amis and Rocky Marciano, as well as an interview with John himself from the great Welsh website The Wolfman Knew My Father. It also brings together my own reviews of John’s novels.

This is far from complete – I hope to be adding many more extracts from his work, and other people’s reviews of the books – but it is at least a start.

It is, of course, a start that I really should have made during John’s own lifetime. And I feel a little bad for not having done so. News of a death is so often accompanied by feelings of guilt, an awareness of having done those things we ought not to have done, and having left undone those things we ought to have done.

This is my attempt to make amends. And to honour the best writer I ever had the privilege of meeting, let alone of calling a friend.

No comments: