Monday 4 June 2012

Jubilations

So what about this Jubilee business? asks Tyrone Jenkins in a comment on an earlier blog posting.

I remember the silver jubilee of 1977 as being a very odd week. I'd bought God Save the Queen, of course, though to be honest - while I liked the words - I didn't think the song itself was a patch on Anarchy in the UK, and wasn't as good as the b-side, Did You No Wrong.

And the best lyrics weren't those about the Queen, anyway, but the wider stuff: 'Where there's no future, how can there be sin?' There's a phenomenal line to put in a best-selling pop single. He was a fine lyricist, that Johnny Rotten, as well having one of the great rock and roll voices.

So that was mostly my soundtrack to jubilee week. But it wasn't the only thing I was listening to. Because that week my dad was conducting the massed bands of the Prince of Wales's Division in a Beating Retreat gig on Horseguards Parade. So I went to that, the same evening that Prince Charles went (he presented my dad with a Jubilee Medal), and very good it was too. Ended with an excellent arrangement of the Evening Hymn and Last Post.

A week of split personality, then. Though, looking back, what punk and a military band spectacular had in common was that my hair didn't fit in with either: too long for punk, and very definitely too long for the Army.

3 comments:

Tyrone Jenkins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyrone Jenkins said...

Thank you for your personal reflections on the Silver Jubilee of 1977. At the time I was not yet 11 years old and so my memories are of street parties, bunting, flags, long-gone family members and a Bruce Forsyth Jubilee Special on BBC TV! Perhaps if I had been a little older I may have been inspired by the punk ethos and been more rebellious. I remember watching a 'Nationwide' report about punk rockers and later seeing the Pistols perform 'Pretty Vacant' on TOTP but 'God save the queen' passed me by. In a sense if you were a child during the seventies the Jubilee was a key moment, partly because even at the time it seemed such a bizarre break with reality. It was quite at varience with our flared jeans,Starsky and Hutch and Bergman-esque public information films! Dominic sandbrook has made the interesting point that the golden and silver jubilee's were saturated with 'celebrities' of all shapes and sizes, whereas in 1977 they were hardly anywhere to be seen in the coverage. Of course there was the Brucie Silver Jubilee 'Special' (unless I'm imagining this!). I've consulted Kenneth williams diary entry for Silver jubilee day; it seens to capture the bi-polar nature of the festivities rather well.

Alwyn W. Turner said...

I can't believe anyone would imagine a Bruce Forsyth Jubilee special if such a thing hadn't existed.

And indeed there was a BBC show 'The Royal Windsor Big Top', in which Forsyth hosted acts from Billy Smart's Circus in a tent in the grounds of Windsor Castle. (You couldn't escape Billy Smart on 1970s television.)

Worth bearing in mind that this was the entertainment offered to the Queen 35 years ago, given some of the complaints in places like the Daily Mail about staging a pop concert this time round.